Can I get an adjustment on my water/sewer bill due to a water leak?

Water and Sewer bill adjustments are provided for qualified leaks during the previous quarter. Adjustments must be requested within 30 days of the invoice date. Adjustments will be made in accordance with the CMA Water & Sewer: Leak Adjustment Policy.

Excerpts from Policy:

  • Owners who receive quarterly water bills for more than double their normal usage, may apply to the Association for a leak adjustment. “Normal usage” is defined as the average usage for the preceding four quarters of billing.
  • Owners will be provided a Leak Adjustment only once in a 12-month period.
  • Leaking commodes, dripping faucets, malfunctioning appliances and similar situations shall not constitute leaks which entitle the customer to a recalculated bill.
  • Please read the full policy for all conditions required to request a leak adjustment to your bill.